Monday, April 30, 2007

Senses











The gift of senses that we have has always added an element of magic to the human body and rather than considering the body as a machine (like in the Some Simple Reflections on the Body article by Paul Valery), it accentuates feelings and thought and adds an element of life to it. I loved the topic and feel that though I did get to create a wearable for it; I did not do justice to the topic since it has so much scope to ideate for.
Sense of touch was something that I wanted to explore. The touch defines a degree of closeness and touching something is always reassuring rather than just seeing it. Taking thing forward to the idea of how touch is used as an identification and assurance of the correct, I wanted to apply it to the humans and the ways we connect to each other. Any new connection between humans has some kind of touch associated with it. Whether it is the introduction of somebody new or reassurance touch is always there. This got me thinking about the ways of greeting and connecting through a handshake; that happens to be the most common form of greeting and is also a touch. A lot has been written about defining a person’s personality based on his handshake. This was interesting since shaking hands is something that we do so often that we don’t even have to think before thrusting the hand forward to greet somebody. I wanted to add an element of difference to my handshake and that’s when I came up with the idea of the funny handshake.

I created a hand gear that when worn, creates a little vibrating feeling in the hand of the person who is shaking hands with the wearer. The person who is shaking his hand with the wearer does not realize that he is actually initiating that action by closing the circuit when he shakes hands with the wearer.

No comments: